Are you considering moving from Microsoft Dynamics GP to Acumatica?
Lots of businesses are, and for good reason. Acumatica is a popular cloud-based ERP system that gives more options, can grow with your company, and takes advantage of the latest technology.
In this article, we will talk about the advantages of switching from Microsoft Dynamics GP to Acumatica. Then, we’ll help you begin your journey with a step-by-step guide to help you successfully make the switch.
Why Replace Dynamics GP?
Microsoft Dynamics GP, formerly known as Great Plains, was first released in 1993. While it has undergone updates and improvements over the years, it is still based on outdated technology.
Acumatica uses modern technology that is always updated to stay current with the latest advancements. This means that Acumatica offers a more user-friendly interface, better integration capabilities, and more advanced features.
As your business grows, your ERP system needs to keep up. Unfortunately, Microsoft Dynamics GP has limited scalability, making it difficult to accommodate the changing needs of a growing business.
Acumatica is highly scalable. It can easily handle increased data and user volume, making it a better long-term solution for growing businesses.
Lack of Flexibility
Microsoft Dynamics GP is a traditional on-premise solution. This means your company installs Microsoft Dynamics GP on its servers and can only access it from within the office. This lack of flexibility can be a major hindrance, especially in today’s remote work environment.
Acumatica allows for access from anywhere as long as there is an internet connection. This allows for more flexibility and remote work capabilities, making it a better fit for modern businesses.
The Software Migration Process
Step 1: Evaluate Your Current System
Before making the move to Acumatica, it’s important to evaluate your current system. Consider potential issues or challenges that may arise during the migration process. This will help you create a plan and set realistic expectations for your legacy software migration.
Step 2: Create a Software Migration Plan
A successful software migration requires a well-thought-out plan.
- Timeline: Outlines the specific dates and deadlines for each task or phase of the project.
- Tasks and responsibilities: Explains all the things that need to be done and says who does them.
- Contingency plan: Includes a Plan B in case of any issues or delays that may arise. The contingency plan incorporates potential solutions, alternative approaches, or resources to support the successful completion of the project.
Step 3: Prepare Your Data
Before migrating to Acumatica, you’ll need to prepare your data for the move. This includes cleaning up any duplicate or outdated data and ensuring that all data is in the correct format.
To ensure a successful and seamless migration of data from one ERP system to another, there are several proven methods to consider.
- Clean up and organize your data: Before transferring your data, clean and organize it. Delete any copies or old information and check that everything is in the proper format.
- Map data fields: Identify the data fields in your current ERP system and map them to the corresponding fields in the new ERP system. This will assist in properly transferring and aligning the data with the new system.
- Validate data integrity: Perform data validation checks to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the data. This involves verifying that the data is complete, consistent, and conforms to the required data standards.
- Before initiating the migration, you should backup your data as a safety net in case you lose any data or corrupt it during the migration process.
- Create a plan for transferring data: This plan should have tasks, roles, and any requirements or conditions for the migration.
- Communicate with stakeholders: Keep all relevant stakeholders informed about the data migration process. This includes key personnel from different departments who rely on the data, such as finance, sales, and operations. Effective communication will help manage expectations and address any concerns or questions.
Step 4: Test the Migration
Before fully committing to the migration, it’s important to test the process with a small sample of data. This will help identify any potential issues or errors that may arise during the actual migration.
Step 5: Migrate Your Data
After you have tested and are sure about the migration process, you can now move your data to Acumatica. You can do this manually or with the help of a migration tool.
Step 6: Train Your Team
To ensure a smooth transition to Acumatica, it’s important to train your team on the new system. This will help them get used to the new interface and features. It will make sure they feel comfortable using the new system.
Step 7: Go Live
After completing all the preparations and training, it’s time to go live with Acumatica. Make a support team available during this time to address any issues or questions that may arise.
Tips for a Successful Migration
The key to a successful software migration is proper planning. Take care to.
- Evaluate your current system
- Create a detailed migration plan
- Prepare your data before making the move
- Communicate with Your Team
- It’s important to keep your team informed throughout the migration process. This will help ease any concerns or confusion and ensure a smooth transition.
Train Your Team
As mentioned earlier, training your team is crucial for a successful migration. Allocate enough time for training and provide ongoing support as needed.
The Switch from Microsoft Dynamics GP to Acumatica
The switch from Dynamics GP to Acumatica provided The Copley Consulting Group with a highly scalable solution that could easily handle increased data and user volume. This scalability is crucial for growing businesses as it allows them to accommodate their changing needs without limitations.
Acumatica’s flexibility and remote work capabilities were a major advantage for The Copley Consulting Group. Unlike Dynamics GP, which is an on-premise solution that restricts access to the office, Acumatica allows remote access from anywhere with an internet connection. This allowed The Copley Consulting Group to adapt to the modern remote work environment and provide their employees with more flexibility.
The Benefits of Moving to Acumatica
Acumatica offers several benefits for companies that switch from Dynamics GP. Here are some of the most common benefits:
- Improved Technology: Acumatica uses modern technology that is always updated to stay current with the latest advancements. This means that it offers a more user-friendly interface, better integration capabilities, and more advanced features compared to Dynamics GP.
- Acumatica is highly scalable, enabling it to handle increased data and user volume easily. This scalability is crucial for growing businesses as it allows them to accommodate their changing needs without limitations.
- Unlike Dynamics GP, which limits access to the office, Acumatica allows access from anywhere with an internet connection. This allows for more flexibility and remote work capabilities, making it a better fit for modern businesses.
- Cloud-Based ERP System: Acumatica is a cloud-based ERP system, so it offers more options and can grow with your company. It takes advantage of the latest technology and allows for easy access to the system from anywhere with an internet connection.
- Better Integration Capabilities: Acumatica offers better integration capabilities compared to Dynamics GP. This means that it can easily integrate with other systems and applications, allowing for seamless data flow and improved efficiency.
- Enhanced Reporting and Analytics: Acumatica provides advanced reporting and analytics capabilities, allowing businesses to gain valuable insights from their data. This can help in making informed decisions and driving business growth.
- Lower Total Cost of Ownership: Acumatica offers a lower total cost of ownership compared to Dynamics GP. This is because it eliminates the need for expensive hardware and infrastructure, as well as the costs associated with maintaining and upgrading on-premise systems.
As you’ve seen, making the move from Microsoft Dynamics GP to Acumatica can bring many benefits to your business. If you’re ready to take the next step, we invite you to download our eBook, “ERP Conversion Guide: Dynamics GP to Acumatica.”
This comprehensive guide covers everything you need to know about the conversion process, including why Acumatica is a smart alternative to Dynamics GP, how to avoid common roadblocks, and step-by-step instructions for a smooth transition. You’ll learn why smart GP users trust their Acumatica conversion to Intelligent Technologies, Inc., and hear from former GP users who have successfully made the switch to Acumatica. Don’t miss out on this valuable resource that will help you make the most of your transition to Acumatica.