Microsoft Office 365 Explained: What's Included
1. Microsoft Office—The world’s leading productivity tool on the desktop (Office Professional Plus) and on the Web (Office Web Apps) are now seamlessly connected and delivered with cloud services. In case you are new to Office Web apps, they are convenient online companions to Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, and Microsoft OneNote that offer you an easy way to access, view, and edit documents directly in your web browser. Thus, with Microsoft Office 365 you can enjoy the best productivity software across multiple devices (PC, Phone and Browser).
Key features and benefits of Microsoft Office 365's Office and Office Web Apps components:
- Make editing a collaborative process— Simultaneously edit Excel spreadsheets and OneNote notebooks with others in real time, and know exactly who is editing and viewing your documents.
- Work on the go— Easily access and view files from your mobile device.
- See documents the way their authors intended—Experience consistent formatting of your files when you move between Office Web Apps and desktop Office applications.
2. Exchange Online— Cloud-based e-mail, calendar and contacts with the most current antivirus and anti-spam solutions. Exchange Online includes the ability to get e-mail on virtually any mobile phone and options for voice mail, unified messaging and archiving.
Key features and benefits of Microsoft Office 365's Exchange Online component:
- Work from almost anywhere – Get automatically updated email, calendar, and contact information delivered on the devices you use most, including PCs, Macintosh computers, iPhone, Android phones, Blackberry smartphones*, Windows Mobile, and Windows Phones**
- Manage email with ease—Connect with Microsoft Outlook 2010 or Outlook 2007 via Exchange Online and enjoy all of the rich Outlook functionality with which you’re already familiar, whether you are connected to the Internet, at home or in the office or, you are working offline.
- Take the hassle out of scheduling—Share calendars and view them side by side, so you can easily see your colleagues’ availability and suggested meeting times from your calendar. Additionally, with the Outlook Web App, you can access your email, calendar, and contacts from nearly any web browser and receive the same rich, familiar Outlook experience you receive on your main PC.
- Feel secure in the cloud—Microsoft Forefront Online Protection for Exchange Online includes multiple filters and virus-scanning engines helps to keep your organization safe from spam and viruses.
3. SharePoint Online— Cloud-based service for creating sites to connect colleagues, partners and customers. Also, includes enterprise social networking and customization options.
Key features and benefits of Microsoft Office 365's Sharepoint Online component:
- Take control of your organization’s important documents—Share large files both inside and outside your organization with a password-protected website.
- Collaborate anywhere, anytime—Open and save files stored on SharePoint directly from Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Or, access those documents from your mobile device.
- Build a website without the help of a developer—Design and maintain a professional-looking public website with simple, user-friendly tools.
- Harness the power of Microsoft Access with Access Services—Manage, share, and edit your inventory, product catalogs, customer records, or any other Microsoft Access databases online.
4. Skype for Business—Cloud-based instant messaging, presence, and online meeting tools with screen sharing and voice and video conferencing.
Key features and benefits of Microsoft Office 365's Skype for Business component:
- Connect and communicate from almost anywhere—Find and connect with friends or peers from virtually anywhere through instant messaging (IM), PC-to-PC audio/video calls, and online meetings. Furthermore, the presence indicator allows you to quickly see when colleagues, partners, and suppliers are online and available.
- Conduct engaging, productive online meetings—Meet with people both inside and outside your business using audio, video or web conferencing.
- Share more than just spoken words—Share your desktop, online whiteboards, and presentations with colleagues and partners inside and outside of your organization.
- Start conversations with a single mouse click—Use the click-to-communicate function to initiate conversations with other Microsoft Office 365 users.
*Users of Blackberry Internet Service get push email and can add calendar and contacts to their Blackberry devices by wired synchronization (sync) with Outlook on the PC.
**Access from mobile devices requires Wi-Fi capability or depends on carrier network availability.
Ready to find the right Office 365 plan for your business? Compare all of your options.
Are you a visual learner? This infographic explains Office 365 graphically.
Still need Office 365 explained in greater detail? Not sure whether it's right for your business? We can help! Give us a call at (336) 315-3935 or fill out the information request form on the right hand side of the screen.