There is no question that Dynamics SL is a powerful ERP system that has served its users well for decades. In fact, we still work with many clients who count on it to run the day-to-day operations of their business. Like them, you may still be perfectly happy with Dynamics SL. And if you are, I’m happy to hear that. As they say, there’s no need to fix what isn’t broken.
But today, I want to see if I can help the rest of you, the ones who question Dynamics SL’s future place in your business. With all the time and effort, you put into setting up the system and tweaking it to fit your specific needs, I’m sure you’re hesitant to make a change. But at some point, that little voice in the back of your head telling you it may be time for a change gets harder and harder to ignore. I know it may be tempting to wait until Dynamics SL catches up with some of its more modern competitors. But don’t forget, Dynamics SL has been around since the 1980s and uses a proprietary coding language, which is very unlikely to change. That simple fact alone makes integrating Dynamics SL with more modern tools difficult and costly.
That brings us to our first red flag that you may be outgrowing Dynamics SL. Do you wish that Dynamics SL could connect with some other, newer tools you now count on to run your business?
Other Questions to Ask Yourself to Determine If Your Outgrowing Dynamics SL
- Is your key business data held in many systems? Is it hard to tell if the data you’re looking at is up-to-date or complete?
- Do you conduct business outside of the office? Do you and your team wish it was easier to update the information in Dynamics SL?
- Would you be more productive if you could access your ERP system away from the office, securely on your mobile device, with no additional software?
- Are your business needs different from when you bought Dynamics SL or last updated it?
- Would you like to add additional functionality quickly and easily, without a great deal of expense or headache?
- Do you plan on increasing headcount soon? Can you afford to give everyone access to Dynamics SL that needs it?
- Would you prefer to split the cost of your ERP system out over the course of the year, rather than paying for it all up front?
- Is the hardware you use to run Dynamics SL nearing the end of its useful life? Are you prepared to replace it?
- Is your IT team stretched too thin? Do they struggle to maintain your servers and other hardware?
- Would it be better if you could outsource those expenses and headaches to someone else?
If you answered yes to many of these questions, chances are good that you are outgrowing Dynamics SL. Of course, this is just a guideline and the final decision is up to you. Only you know how much these issues really are negatively impacting your business. And we understand that replacing ERP like Dynamics SL is a big decision, one whose effects are far reaching. So, whatever your choice, consider it carefully and take the time to be sure you’re comfortable with it.
If you had mixed results from the questions above, and still aren’t sure whether it’s time to make a change, try a simple 10 question quiz we developed to help make this often difficult decision a little easier.
Think it may be time to make the move to a modern ERP? One solution we recommend most often to Dynamics SL users is Acumatica cloud ERP. It is not only the fastest growing cloud ERP on the market today, a former CEO Of Solomon software cofounded the company. So, Dynamics SL users will find a lot of similarities between Acumatica and their current software, making the transition less daunting.
Need hands-on help to decide whether to move to a modern ERP or to choose the right solution? No problem. Schedule a free, no obligation consultation with one of our experts. In a brief call, we will get to know your needs and expectations, so that we can make smart recommendations to help you move your business forward.