Tips for Researching Alternatives to QuickBooks
Tips for Researching Alternatives to QuickBooks
Many businesses are initially happy with their decision to buy QuickBooks. But, after years working with the software they often slowly realize it may not have been the best choice, or it is no longer working for them. Replacing QuickBooks may seem like a daunting task. But, it doesn’t have to be. Our experts have broken it down into five simple steps.
Click the steps below to learn more.
This is probably one of the most challenging and time-consuming parts of replacing QuickBooks. To make it easier, our experts suggest focusing the information you gathered in Step #2, plus 5 key questions
Unless you choose a software as a service (SaaS) solution that’s completely installed and managed by the vendor, or you have a large IT department with experience installing these types of systems, you will need someone to help you get your system up and running.
Signs Your Business has Outgrown QuickBooks
- You often feel like QuickBooks is oversimplified or not flexible enough to meet your needs. Two of QuickBooks’ major strengths are that it is easy to use and set up. But, this simplicity can be a double-edged sword. Often as a business grows QuickBooks users find the software is lacking many of the accounting features they need.
- You need audit trails, but they are nowhere to be found in QuickBooks. Unlike other more sophisticated accounting systems, QuickBooks allows users to edit posted transactions after the fact, without keeping a record of the change. But, this does not comply with the auditing standards that growing businesses, especially those in regulated industries must deal with.
- You’ve reached the maximum record limit—There is a finite limit to how many records QuickBooks can process and keep in its archives. This means you can only have so many employees, processes, transactions, etc. And, once you hit those limits, your only choice is to erase historical records. These limitations are evidence that QuickBooks does not scale easily and is not built to grow with companies past a certain point.
- You’re unable to build a closer relationship with business lenders or want to go public, but can’t. Because it is so easy to change QuickBooks records with no audit trail, the simple truth is even most large CPA firms will not perform an audit on your accounting records if you use QuickBooks.
- You can’t get the business insight or reports that you need. The reports available out of the box with QuickBooks are limited and they don’t really give you a complete picture of your business’ overall health. So, you wind up spending valuable time creating the reports you need with Excel or another similar tool.
If you can relate, don’t worry. Help is here. In fact, the desire to replace an entry level accounting system like QuickBooks is one of the main reasons people initially reach out to us.
Take Stock of Your Needs
- What features are must haves? (Be sure to consider things like user experience, collaborative capabilities and deployment options).
- What features are nice to have? (Again, be sure to consider things like user experience, collaborative capabilities and deployment options).
- What is my budget? Do you want to pay for your new system upfront or spread the cost out into monthly bills? (If you want to spread the cost out, a cloud or hosted solution will be your best bet).
Evaluate Your Needs
How easy is the system to learn and use?
Your employees are already familiar with QuickBooks and you don’t want to lose valuable time training them on the new system when they could be contributing to the growth of your business. The good news is you don’t have to. Look for a solution that offers:
- an intuitive user experience
- role specific dashboards and clear workflows
- built-in productivity tools
The easier your new accounting system is to use, the more likely your employees will adopt it without you forcing them to do so.
Does the solution support different work styles?
Today, users expect software to be easy-to-use, accessible on any device and always available. Make a list of all the devices (desktop/laptops, tablets and smartphones) your employees depend on a daily basis and then look at how well each solution can support those devices. The best solution will allow your people to be productive no matter where work takes them.
Does the vendor offer deployment options that fit my needs?
For instance, if you’re currently running an online version of QuickBooks or another entry-level accounting solution, do you plan on investing in the servers and other infrastructure needed to maintain your new system in-house?
Or, on the other hand, if you’re currently using an outdated legacy system perhaps you want to move to a subscription or cloud-based system instead. Each of these deployment options offer their own unique advantages and disadvantages, for added guidance, click here.
What kind of after sales support does the vendor offer?
Most small businesses do not have the IT knowledge to deploy their new on their own. So, when choosing a vendor consider the following:
- Does the vendor offer local implementation help via partners/providers in your area?
- Does the vendor demonstrate a commitment to continuous improvement?
- Will your pricing remain consistent year after year?
- Does the vendor hold your data for you? Do you know where it will be stored?
Does the vendor understand the needs of small and midsize business?
Consider their track record for helping businesses like yours achieve the results you want. Customer case studies and references are very useful in this case.
Now That You Know What to Look for In Alternatives to QuickBooks, Ready to Explore Your Options?
To get you going, here are a few of the most popular options. Click any of them to see how they stack up against QuickBooks.
Choose an Implementation Partner
Unless you choose a software as a service (SaaS) solution that’s completely installed and managed by the vendor, or you have a large IT department with experience installing these types of systems, you will need someone to help you get your system up and running. And then, be there to answer questions and help you with any issues you might run into after you start using the software. That’s where we come in, at Intelligent Technologies, Inc., we have over 25 years’ experience helping small and medium-sized businesses make the most of their accounting/business management systems.
Why Our Customers Love Us
We’ve served the technology needs of SMBs for over 25 years. Not only that, 2 CPAs founded our company. So, we understand the needs of accounting and finance professionals.
The human touch
If you have a technology question or issue with any of our solutions our friendly NC based staff will be there. Finally, get the support you need to make most of your technology investments.
Rest assured, we will take the time to get to know you and help you take your technology from something that’s holding you back to something that empowers you to reach your goals, and makes your job easier
Want more information?
The Business Owner’s Guide for Replacing Accounting Software
Replacing your accounting software is easier and more affordable than you may think. Use this guide to learn about the benefits of a modern technology platform, better understand the advantages of a cloud-based solution, and know what questions to ask when evaluating your options.
15 Red Flags: Is Your Accounting Software Hurting Your Business?
This white paper tells the stories of real companies. Real people, just like you who were having problems because they kept their entry or legacy accounting system a little too long.
We work with customers every day who wish they had made the move to a modern ERP system earlier. We hope these stories will help you identify issues early and avoid those mistakes.
Infographic: Is Your Business Outgrowing Your Accounting Software?
Have you asked yourself whether your current accounting solution is keeping up with your business’ growth and financial needs?
If you run into any of the issues depicted here, consider them signs to move beyond your basic accounting solution
eBook: Make Technology Your Business Advantage
Modernizing your systems and business processes can set you apart from your competitors, whatever size they may be. With Microsoft, you can choose your own path to modern with flexible, familiar and trusted solutions that support your business goals—growing sales, increasing efficiency, protecting your data, or enabling a mobile workforce.
Questions? Lets talk.
25 years, hundreds of satisfied customers. Let us help you find the right QuickBooks replacement. Tell us a little bit about your organization.